Friday, July 4, 2008

Running

So I've been going on runs along different parts of the island everyday, since we have been living in different villages. It's almost big enough to host a marathon (about 38.4km once around), and since I'm here for about 10 days, I can cover the island in that timeframe. Today I got up before sunrise (thanks to jetlag) and ran up the hilly route that goes across the middle of the island to take some pictures(with my friend's camera). Here are some of the pictures:

Yeyin Village at daybreak:




Up on the mountain road:





The eastern bay by Yeyin and Dongqing Villages. Note a battleship-like set of uninhabited islands farther out. They were bombed repeatedly by the US in WWII after being mistaken for a Japanese battleship. Silly Americans, the islanders thought.





Southern side of the island:





The harbor by Yeyin Village:


Up by the summit:



Western side of the island:


Back down to Yeyin Village:




I had actually done the same run for the first time yesterday, though I did not bring a camera then. It only took about 18 minutes to ascend and about 12 minutes to descend, though the road down was much longer than the road up (I ended up continuing until I reached the western face of the island). My odd motorbiking comrades picked me up and found a cold spring for me to wash up at:




Also, here are pictures from a few of my runs in the days before:

The Bay at Dongqing village:



The eastern bay - note the village out to the left is Yeyin, while Dongqing is blocked by a hill:



Lover's Cavern:



Those battleship-like islands:



Northeastern-side of the island:






Northern side:



The beach by Dongqing Village:


We also went to a cold spring next to the ocean. Good memories:






No comments: