Monday, September 22, 2008

The End of the Earth

Sanya (三亞). The southernmost city in China. Here there is a spot called "Tianya Haijiao" (天涯海角 - literally "limit of heaven, corner of the sea"), which in Chinese literary tradition, refers to the End of the Earth, the very limits of the Civilized World:

Self-timed picture:


Walking alone:



Unfortunately, my camera got sand in it and now it cannot focus, which means I may not have any easy means of taking any more pictures. However, with the sunset coming up and no camera, I couldn't help but look to alternatives - I bought a disposable camera to capture the beautiful scene:




The sunset was amazing. To the west, the mountain seemed like it was burning, on fire with a radiance beyond the horizon that was surely far greater than anything mankind could summon, even with all our weapons of mass destruction combined. The sky looked painted with breathtakingly beautiful colors laid on top of God's canvas; so round and so perfect was the curvature of the world with the radiant atmosphere bending around it. Laying upside down on the rocks, the clouds were below my feet, and with the strong wind, blowing against my face, it felt perhaps like freefall; an everlasting descent into the eternally distant clouds.

1 comment:

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like this blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is not good.
A hug from Portugal