Tuesday, September 16, 2008

In the South - GZ

Mid-Autumn Festival. Got into Guangzhou, and after meeting up with my friend, dropping off my things, and eating dinner, the first thing we do is head over to Karaoke - apparently my friend's friend was hosting a party in the presidential suite, and who couldn't turn down free Karaoke, eh? Well my friend could not, despite the protestations of his girlfriend. At Karaoke, there was the usual persuasions to drink and my usual persistence to drink water won over. It was actually a fairly pleasant place to pass the time at, as the ventilation system did a good job of clearing the cigarette smoke, there were some tasty snacks, and even a few random songs from Taiwan that I somehow knew. My friend's friend's friends were also fairly nice people to talk to. However, we did not stay long, as it was late and my friend's girlfriend was less than enthusiastic about having to hang out with a room full of strangers.

The next day, we went to a Water Park near Guangzhou, taking advantage of the day off that occurs after the Mid-Autumn Festival. I hadn't been in a water park since I was a kid, and I ended up having more fun than I thought I would - some of the slides were pretty interesting, and we ended having a fairly intense team battle trying to deflate each other's intertubes while on the normally placid intertube rafting circuit.

Picture of us at the Water Park:


The slides:

The main entrance with the corny hippo:


After our day at the Water Park, we came back to Guangzhou for dinner. Despite the taxi driver's efforts, we made it back at a reasonable hour and got to the Sichuan restaurant we were unable to go to the day before. The most memorable moment was when we had the waiter pour our tea in splendid fashion. Some pictures:


No comments: