Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hessian Dream

A few months earlier, one of my friends had recommended a book for me to read once he heard of my plan. It's called Knulp, by Herman Hesse, and the subject is one that is perhaps fairly common in many of Herman Hesse's works.

The story is that of a man who is a wanderer and goes from village to village, relying on nothing but himself and the kindness of friends and strangers. He is well-educated, well-versed in the details of various trades, and adept at many sociable talents such as singing or whistling folk tunes, storytelling, and dancing. Everyone knows of him and delights to be in his presence; his friends are honored to house him for the night and to share their meals. He is well-mannered in the social graces of the time, is neat and orderly, and is self-sufficient in the personal maintenance of his few belongings. All who meet him find him to be a likeable character, like a spot of sunshine of freedom amongst the general dreariness of a rainy day.

To simplify things, Knulp is what I am not. He epitomizes all that I have not been, and all that I seek to become via this journey. One of my goals is to pursue my Hessian Dream: To wander around aimlessly without anxiety, to meet and befriend strangers with ease and harmony, and to be well-versed enough in the talents that act as social lubricants such as song and story to brighten someone else's day. It means I consciously take time to observe and improve upon other areas of my life that are not typically my focus, to start new habits, and increase my comfort zone.

And this tale of Knulp, regardless of the merits of the story, provides me with a roadmap.

1 comment:

David Lin said...

Hey Jerry!

I read some of the posts that you have so far, including your haggling story. Thanks for the view of life in China from the perspective of a wanderer.