Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Peach Vendor

So I was walking home on the street and there's this guy selling peaches sitting on the sidewalk. He calls over to me in Mandarin:

"Sir, would you like to buy some peaches?"
I turned around - I hadn't eaten all day, and realized I hadn't had fruit ever since my stash from Sanya ran out a few days ago. "How much?"
"I sell at 5 RMB ($0.75 USD) per 斤(approximately half a kilogram, roughly a pound)."
"No that's too expensive. I'm sorry, but I only have 10 RMB ($1.51 USD) to spend on food today." It was true - I've run up a tab of 78.7 RMB for the week, leaving only 21.3 RMB out of my 100 RMB budget with two days left. I could not afford to throw money away. I start walking away.

"Oh come on! How about 4 RMB per 斤??"
I continue walking. "Thank you for your offer, but 4 RMB is too much."
"Okay, okay, stop right there. Why don't I give you 3斤 for 10 RMB?"
I stopped walking. "I told you I only have 10 RMB to spare. I haven't eaten yet today, and I plan to get a big bowl of noodles for 5 RMB. There's no way I can afford to subsist on only a few peaches."
"They'll last for a week! Don't be stingy - buy more now and save them for later! Here, try a piece!"

The man clearly wasn't understanding what I was saying, but he was persistent. He cut a sampler piece from a sample peach for me and handed it to me with his grimy hands. I tried it. I found it to be suprisingly sweet. Or maybe it's because I hadn't eaten all day.

I started to reconsider a little. "Okay, what if I just bought 1 peach? How much would that be? One peach is slightly less than 1斤, right?"
"No man, no one buys just one peach! That's ridiculous!! I'll give you 4 peaches (slightly more than 3斤) for 10 RMB, how about that?"
"I told you I have to eat something substantial today - peaches won't do. I only have 10 RMB. I'll buy 2 peaches for 5 RMB."
"Oh come on! I'm giving you a special deal! No one sells for this low!"
"There's no other way." I handed him the money, but all I had was a 10 RMB bill.

"See! You have 10 RMB!" He tries to give me two more peaches instead of my change. "Just buy a couple more! You won't regret it!"
"How about this, if these peaches are good, I'll come back in a few days and buy some more from you."
"I won't be around then! It's National Holiday Week and I'm not going to be doing business for the next several days. Look, you shouldn't care about this kind of pocket change, you should be focusing on figuring out how to make big money!"
"Uh huh, just give me my change." He reluctantly handed me 5 RMB and I walked away with 2 peaches.

Then I went to the noodle shop near my house and decided to get some fried rice with my remaining 5 RMB instead. It smelled so good; the hot, salty, fluffy-textured substance was perfect.

The peach vendor was right - most of the time, I should allocate my time more efficiently and not worry about 1 or 2 RMB here or there. However, this period of time is one I have designated for the purposes of this particular goal, and I was not about to break off from that, regardless of my own hunger, even less so because of what other people think.

3 comments:

David/Jamie said...

just so you know i'm reading your blogs...and i find them very interesting, esp how you're trying to live on 100rmb a week. i guess that doesn't count accomodations. What are you doing for that anyway? i think this is such a great adventure you are on. i didn't realize you kno that much chinese words (as i read your previuos blogs too). keep up the blogging. i am living vicariously thru your blogs, lol.

Jerry said...

Thanks - I try to keep them interesting, otherwise every post would be the standard: "Jerry went to this place or that place, met this person or that person, took these pictures, everything looked wonderful, let's move on..."

Tiffany said...

How entertaining. It seems you are getting good at bargaining.