Thursday, October 9, 2008

Learning Peace

Many people, when faced with having no plans or schedules, having nothing compelling them to do this or that, start to worry or get antsy. To a large extent, I am no different. Coming from a background where achievement is often expected, and having heard occasionally from friends and family that so-and-so is doing this or that, that they've already accomplished such and such, it feels slightly troubling to continue sailing onwards into the vast unknown. Without a sure direction and facing the wide expanse of possibilities, staring into the face of life's long road ahead, I find myself contemplating the prospect of working again more often than I would have hoped, and thus sometimes disrupting my ability to fully enjoy my journey.

But it is also because of this that I must persist. For it is when I am finally able to rid myself of the anxiety of doing "nothing" useful, I will find some measure of peace with myself independent of what I do. Only then will I be ready to come back. This goal - learning to be at peace - is reason enough in of itself to continue on.

No comments: