Friday, October 31, 2008

Visiting Jiufeng

My father and I visited Jiufeng (九份) yesterday, on the advice of a friend from Taichung. Jiufeng is actually close to Taipei, though I had never visited previously. The town is up in the mountains, near the northern coast of Taiwan, and is known for its spectacular views. Here is a map of the place:



Here is a picture of me in the city, at a spot that apparently is famous for being in the filming location of some movie:


Jiufeng also has some stores with souvenirs and snack shops, as most tourist locations. One of them made this very good mochi-like dessert with ice cream in the middle. After touring the shops, we climbed up Keelung Mountain (基隆山), which has 4 pagoda rest stops. The entrance:


A view of the climb upwards:


We got up to the summit in about 25 minutes - it was a relatively short climb, though I can't say it was easy. Unfortunately, the view was rather cloudy today:


A shot of the northern coast - Keelung Port and Jinshan (金山) are in the distance:

Afterwards, we drove back along a scenic route and visited the hot springs in Jinshan.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I've been to Jiufeng too! Probably not surprising considering I've also been to Kenting at least 4 or 5 times to your one time. Mwa ha ha.